Saturday, June 29, 2013

Update: Day 9 and 10

Yesterday was better then I thought looking back at it now... The morning was difficult because Wyatt was still in pain, most gut wrenching feeling to watch your baby try to cry over a ventilator but all the tests we were getting were reassuring. Little by little the day got better (I should remember that I say I am going to take this one hour at a time...). They gave him Lasix for the swelling, and his gases continued to be good through out the day so they continued to wean the vent. His morning chest x-ray show a stomach with little to no air which was music to our ears. They slowly decreased Wyatt's pain medications so they could extubate him and over all he tolerated it well ... He defiantly has a temper though because his vitals would shoot up and he would attempt crying when he was uncomfortable, but this would also happen just as bad when he had a wet diaper. Around 6 o'clock, Dr. Sadiq came in and said that his last lab result showed that he should tolerate no ventilator and they were going to pull the tube. Wyatt did wonderful with this and they put him back on his CPAP machine... he looked the same as he did before he went down to surgery which made me the happiest person in the world!! He rested comfortably through the night, I know he was in pain but I also think that the breathing tube was our biggest problem. He did not like that thing and was so irritated while it was in he couldn't control his heart rate or respirations.
Things went good today. No weaning of the CPAP but Dr. Ali said he doesn't want to overwhelm him to fast... I'm happy with that! Slow and steady wins the race!! The surgeons said there was still some air in his stomach on this morning’s x-rays and I got a little irritated with them. They said that there is nothing wrong with this and that they are probably being over sensitive... Probably? The difference with this x-ray and the ones before surgery are that now there is air in the small and large intestines and the stomach is not 'distended', just shows some air... AKA this means it is a normal amount and that everything is moving since the air is down in the intestines now and he continue to have stools. Wyatt has pooped with almost every diaper change as well so they say we will get to feed him tomorrow, we will see. I wasn't trying to be mean to the surgeon but I just asked why we kept seeing this and why we had no concrete answer and the surgeon still couldn't give me one and that’s when he said that they probably were being a little over sensitive to all these x-rays and that Wyatt clinically presented very well. He talked all of this over with Dr. Vane and they have even cancelled the morning x-ray unless Wyatt shows any reason to repeat it... I just don't want them over reacting when we haven’t even tried to feed him and taking him back to the OR again just because they can't explain a little air in his belly. Dr. Ali agreed with me and when the surgeons left he said that he thought it was a good idea to just watch Wyatt, not a bunch of imaging tests.
Today has been a good day, we got to hold our little man which is always so wonderful. Wyatt loves to be held, his vital signs are never any better and is either wide awake and just taking everything in or sleeping like and angel. I just wish we could take him home and never put him down!! Soon enough, I have to remember to be patient and that we are only on day 10... other CDH families I have read about or talked with have been in NICU for months with out attempting feedings or even repair surgeries. We are doing great on this journey, just have to keep pushing forward and attempt to keep a level head. I feel all these emotions and I know my family does as well, but then I sit here looking at this little, perfect person and realize he has us all under control. He is the bravest, strongest, most incredible person I have ever met!!
Prayers that feedings go well and he continue to heal from his surgeries with little pain/discomfort. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment