Monday, July 8, 2013

Quick update.... Wyatt Gill and Leslie Avenue

So, we have had a whirlwind since my last update!! We were told on Friday, that if Wyatt continued to gain weight and eat well that we could POSSIBLY go home on Sunday. Of course, he lost 4 oz Friday night. When the MD's did rounds on Saturday morning, the doctor said she would add some formula to his feedings, let me put him to breast 2 times a day, and if he at least gained overnight on Saturday we could still go home Sunday.
I was ecstatic, but petrified at the same time. I know I am a mom, I was a mom, and have always wanted to be a mom.... but now it was reality. If this perfect little creature in my arms gained just even an ounce we would go home the next day. Kevin and I would be responsible for him, to keep him safe and breathing and healthy. We wouldn't have any monitors at home to tell us he was OK, no nurses to pick up the 3 am feedings when mommy was too tired, no cafeteria to cook for us... It would be us 3, a family finally with a lot of work to do.
As I'm sure most of you know by now, Wyatt gained Saturday night and discharge orders were written Sunday morning. We had one of our favorite nurses during this weekend, which was so wonderful to have her be a part of this experience. She was on the ball about getting us home too! She sent daddy and grandma down with our luggage and started going over our instructions for home. We loaded the car seat, complete with a baby now, in the wagon and headed downstairs.... I was in charge of 'wheeling' Wyatt down stairs, and with this task the worry truly set in!! Pat, the RN, could tell I think because as we got off the elevator on the ground floor, she asked if I was OK and how I was feeling. I just looked up at her, and all I could say was 'I never thought this day would come' and in my mind I cannot say that I ever actually let myself think or dream of Wyatt coming home. Maybe it was a coping mechanism or maybe it was my way not to stress out about anything else then the task at hand, but wheeling my son down to the car from his NICU room, the only home he had ever known, I felt like we had conquered one of the most difficult battles we ever would.
I know that CDH comes with many, many hurdles and we are already running into some of them only being home 24 hours, G tube questions and volume of feeds issues, but I cannot thank God enough for letting me have my baby at home. So many people have prayed for Wyatt and our family and I have never felt more blessed in my life, EVER!! I have this perfect little miracle baby, and wonderful husband that is already one of the best dads I have ever known, and the best/most supportive friends and family a person could ever dream of.
I know that I will be updating this blog as we hit milestones or set backs or frustrations or successes and hopefully people do not forget to pray for Wyatt even though a big part of our journey is over. CDH is tough, tough diagnosis and defect. There are never any solid answers and the journey or 'roller coaster' never ends! Please not only pray for Wyatt and our family but for all babies and families that are suffering with hurdles of CDH or any birth defects/problems!! It is truthfully something I nor anyone else will ever understand but great things and babies (people) come out of these situations!
Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment